Thursday, February 16, 2012

Putting a Positive Spin on Things

I am trying to be more positive these days.  I see people everywhere who are going through serious stuff...and I realized that I need to look at the bright side of things that maybe aren't so great.  I don't mean major problems, but rather the little day to day issues that can bring you down.

I have come up with 5 possible downers that you could put a positive spin on...

1.  Gray Hair
So you get into your 30s (and maybe even your 20s) and you start spotting those pesky gray hairs.  It sucks.  But it doesn't have to.  Why?
Well, when I go to the salon to get my hair done (aka. Target to buy boxed hair color), I see that it says the more gray hair you have, the more of a highlighted effect you will get.  JACKPOT! That is exactly the look I was going for...sweet! That just makes me love my grays. 
I have to take what I can get when it comes to hair.  I have extremely curly hair (like so curly that Kenny G was my dobbleganger), so color is the only way I can really change it up without looking like little orphan Annie.  I will take my highlighted grays and be happy as a freakin' clam.
 
2.  Excessive Coffee Drinking
When you are in your childbearing years and you think about having a baby, you always read about the negative effects of caffeine.  But every now and then, a little gem of a study comes along that finds positive effects of drinking coffee.  I LOVE when that happens.  Here is one article that might make you feel better if you are a coffee drinker:
One of the positives is that it reduces the risk of liver damage. This leads me to #3.

3.  Drinking alcohol
Of course, we know that drinking excessive amounts of alcohol can do all kinds of damage to your body.  Did you know that doctors say women should have no more than 7 drinks a week to reduce the risk of health effects?
But if I, in turn, drink extra coffee on those days that I am hitting the bottle, would that minimize damage to my liver? Hmmm...something to think about.
And I need to add that my grandmother attended happy hour and drank beer until just a few months before she died at the age of 84.  She also smoked.  I don't smoke, but the happy hour thing sounds good to me.  If she did it, hell, I should do it too.  Of course not now.  Taking 3 young kids to happy hour with me is probably a no no.

4.  Low cash flow
From time to time (especially with young children), you may just find yourself to be flat broke.  I'm just going to say it.  You all know those times (and if you don't, screw you...no,just kidding.  Well not really.) when you need payday to hurry up and get here.  During these times, you might be out shopping for only the necessities and the kids start their standard song and dance of asking for every little piece of junk that catches their eye.  When money is not a problem, you may give in and get them a little something.  But when it's not an option, I try to look at the positive side.  I am teaching my children that they can't always get what they want.  Sometimes they have to go without.  That's life.  Deal with it. 

5.  Overeating/Snacking
I have a problem with snacking.  My name is Katie and I am a constant grazer and snacker.  There you have it.  I always thought that this was my main problem.
However, in the past year or so, many dietitians say that eating several small meals throughout the day boosts your metabolism and leads to more weight loss.  Well, hot damn...I should have a metabolism that is through the roof with all the small "meals" I eat throughout the day.  Just gotta figure out why this weight isn't coming off as quickly as it should.  Maybe, just maybe, I should add even more small meals in when I can.  I'll try that and let you know how it works.

So you see, it's easy to put a positive spin on things. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Even though I am horrible at responding to comments, I read every one (even the spam comments trying to sell me cheap Christian Louboutins). Leave a nice comment and I will buy you a drink...someday.