Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Mom's Summer Survival Tips

DISCLAIMER: I LOVE being home with my kids during the summer.  I am home all year long since I have a home daycare, but I only open daycare one day a week in the summer....so the rest of the days I am with just my own children.  And I LOVE it!  It gives me a taste of being a stay at home mom, which I would really enjoy.  But to be completely honest, there are days when I struggle and count down the minutes until bedtime.  It's normal.  So....

Image from www.themomcafe.com

Are you home with your kids during the summer?  If so, are you banging your head against the wall yet?  Are you sick and tired of listening to bickering and whining?
"Mom, can I have another snaaaaack?"
"Mom, what are we going to do todaaaaayyyyyy?"
"I'm booooorrrred!"

Well, look no further than these little handy survival tips.  Here you go, no need to thank me.

1.  Have candy on hand for bribery. Yes, bribery works.  Whoever told you otherwise is wrong.  Or they just use corporal punishment and the last time I checked, that is illegal.  So go with bribery.


2.  Schedule nonstop play dates.  Find friends or acquaintances or even random strangers at the grocery store and line up some play dates STAT.  Spend as little one on one time with the kids as possible.  They are generally better in a group.  And if you are really lucky, another person's kid will have a complete meltdown and you will come home feeling like mom of the freakin' year.

Seriously? Play date business cards?

3.  Buy some new DVDs and hide them.  Then when the kids are just about to lose their minds, bring one out and say, "SURPRISE, look what new movie I bought for you!"  This may give you anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes of peace.


4.  Join a gym like the YMCA solely for the free childcare.  If the kids are really on your last nerve, drop them off their and go work out some of the tension.  If working out isn't your thing, then go sit in the lobby and drink coffee.  Hide in the locker room and read a book.  Stretch for a hour and listen to your Ipod.  Just a few suggestions. 

A "workout" can definitely lift your spirits.

5.  Keep your "beverage" of choice handy and on ice at all times.  Preferably when the kids are in bed.  But you never know...and hey, it's summer.  So what's the saying?  It's 5 o'clock somewhere?  It's also bedtime somewhere. 


I hope these 5 tips help you get through the next couple of months.  Please share if you have any other useful pointers that I could add to the list!!!!



5 comments:

  1. Fabulous. Love those ideas. I particularly love the idea about the movies. My kids are in some camps over the summer for a few hours a day. But when they're home, they will most certainly say all those things you listed above, over and over and over again. That's when I'll reach for the chilled beverage -- 5:00 or no, sometimes a good drink is all it takes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas. I laughed at those business cards ;o)

    New follower from the blog hop

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so very true. My list also includes dark chocolate. My own stash that no one else can have and I tend to run to when the goings get rough! Thanks for sharing. I've seen you on TMB and the Hop. I'm following ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bedtime AND naptime both rock...I'll be makin' me some of those card thingies. Do you think the other moms will think I'm weird?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Discover how 1,000's of people like YOU are working for a LIVING from home and are living their dreams right NOW.
    GET FREE ACCESS INSTANLY

    ReplyDelete

Even though I am horrible at responding to comments, I read every one (even the spam comments trying to sell me cheap Christian Louboutins). Leave a nice comment and I will buy you a drink...someday.